Raising The Roof on Mental Health!

This series has been a long time coming for me. With the rise of Mental Health awareness campaigns it seems very much like talk is finally turning to the stigma that encases Mental Health issues and how to get rid of it. Campaigns such as #TimeToTalk are really raising the roof on destroying the stigma and it’s getting people talking!


There has been a massive rise in the public's awareness of Mental Health over recent years, something which is helped by the issue being discussed at a "celebrity" level. With the rise of suicide attempt confessions and footballers undergoing Psychotherapy, amongst many other things, there has been a natural increase in interest around the subject.

I am a massive supporter in raising awareness for Mental Health and breaking down those barriers that make people think that Mental Health issues are something to be afraid of.
Get ready for some stats, top cats! (I have no idea why…… I just really needed to rhyme….and eat a lime (damn it!)):
  • 1 in 4 people will experience some sort of Mental Health at some point throughout a year.
  • Women are more likely to have been treated for Mental Health than Men – This does not mean that more women suffer than men, it means more women are treated.
  • 10% of children have a mental health problem at any one time.
          (All stats taken from MentalHealth.Org)

You never know who is struggling with a Mental Illness, people who have Mental Health problems aren’t “Crazy” or “Mad”. They won’t start sobbing all over you or run at you waving their arms in the air screaming like a banshee…….they are normal everyday people. Ultimately Mental Health boils down to,  biologically speaking,  a chemical imbalance in the brain. That’s it. Nothing to be afraid of.

The impact that Mental Health can have on a person's life can be catastrophic. Not only to the sufferer but to those around them. There has to be a level of understanding and empathy there in order for sufferers to get the right support. Supporting someone with a Mental Illness can be a massive challenge and can be an immensly pressurised situation. Mental Health effects everyone's lives in one way or another at some point. It is nothing to be ashamed of.

Since I joined the blogging community I have noticed how many bloggers have experience of Mental Health, whether suffering themselves or supporting someone who suffers. This may be because  bloggers are more open to “putting themselves out there” but it may just be that it is so incredibly common and blogging communities are so open that it is just naturally talked about.

So, in honour of all those out there with mental health issues, or all those campaigning for its awareness, I wanted to do a post about Mental Health with real facts from real people. However, I got such a massive response to my Tweet asking for help from other bloggers that I have decided to make it a series (I can honestly say that nothing has made me more proud of being part of such a fantastic blogging community)! I have conducted interviews via email with some willing volunteers and I will be posting these interview over the course of……well, until I run out! The series will cover all aspects of Mental Health from Depression to Eating Disorders and everything inbetween.

Now, before I start I want to state now that no negative comments will be accepted. If you don’t like what you are reading then please stop reading it. The people who have agreed to being interviewed are amazing people who feel strongly about raising awareness, they deserve nothing but praise. They have all been open and honest, something that should be respected.

A few of the contributors have asked to remain anonymous*, for their own reasons, I hope you will respect this and understand that for these people it was difficult enough to talk about it. I respect and thank each and every one of them for getting involved, no matter at what level.
*I will of course state when names and details have been changed.

Comments

  1. I love how you've put this!
    I think it's not only important to raise awareness of mental illness but I like that you are including those who know someone/care for someone with mental illness because that in itself needs awareness too. I know I would be nothing without the support I receive from my boyfriend.

    I'm very much looking forward to being a part and connecting with the others that are apart of this!

    ~ K

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I completly agree! Support for everyone involved is imperative.

      B x

      Delete
  2. This is such an awesome post to write. I fear not many people are aware of mental issues, because they are not visible but can affect someone's life so much. This is going to be interesting! Love from Spain xoxo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you :)

      That's exactly why I wanted to do it. Awareness raises the profile and makes steps towards the stigma being dropped. Just because you can't see doesn't mean it isn't there.

      (And Spain btw?....Jealous!)

      B x

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular Reading