White Chocolate & Lemon Drizzle Cake



Well, the sixth month of the year has arrived. We are just about half way through 2015, isn't it flying?

June is going to be a bit of a whirlwind in the Explorer household, exciting plans (that I briefly mentioned here) will be coming together and all out bedlam will no doubt ensue. I am dying to tell you but I don’t want to jinx anything (yes, I still believe in jinxing) so for now you will just have sit on tenterhooks, which I know you are, and I'm going to have to sit on my hands to stop me typing it out.



For the time being we are seemingly stuck in a bit of a limbo between normality and change, and there is only one thing that calls for: cake.

This, as with the majority of my bakes, is the brain child of gluttony and a severe addiction to chocolate. In the turmoil of limbo simple bakes are the way forward so a good old favourite of mine, lemon drizzle, seemed to be the best option. Only with added white chocolate, because everything is better with chocolate, right? Plus, very little goes together better than white chocolate and lemon…maybe tomato and basil, or strawberries and cream, but that’s it.


        
             
It actually occurred to me whilst I was baking this that an alarming amount of recipes on this blog contain chocolate in some way or another. Whether this is a good or a bad thing I’ll let you decide but I’m pretty settled on it being the best damn thing ever.

So, this little beauty is not only drizzled in extra lemony drizzle but with white chocolate too. Oh, and it has chunks of chocolate as well….just in case of there wasn't enough.



Recipe



Ingredients:

170g unsalted butter
170g caster sugar
3 large eggs
170g self raising flour
Zest and Juice of 2 lemons
A tablespoon of poppy seeds
110g powdered sugar 
200g White chocolate, 100g chopped and 100g melted

Cake:

Preheat your oven to 180°C
Cream together your butter and sugar until light.
Add in your eggs, on at a time and beat.
Fold in your flour.
Add your lemon zest and chopped chocolate.
Fold until even. 
Pour your mix into a lined and greased 2 lb loaf tin.
Bake for 30 to 35 minutes, or until a skewer comes out clean from the middle.

Drizzle:

Stir together your lemon juice and icing sugar.
Once the cake is baked wait for it to cool a little.
Whilst it is still warm poke holes into it with differing depths and drizzle over your lemon juice mix.
Wait for the whole thing to cool completely then drizzle over your melted white chocolate.

Now, eat!




Comments

Popular Reading