Honey and Whiskey Cupcake Recipe









Recently I've been craving making cupcakes. Fuelled entirely by the desire to test out a new set of piping nozzles that the ever on-point husband gave me for Christmas. The problem I have been facing is that cupcakes feel contrived to me now. I can't make them without feeling as though they're fitting into a stereotype. I needed a new angle for them so I could make them without feeling cutesy (we'll save the dissection of my aversion to 'cute' for another time). So I decided to add booze. More specifically Whiskey. 

We always have a good stock of whiskey in our jolly juice cupboard so it was an obvious choice. The sponge is a creation brought together with dark sugars and laced with cockle warming liquor. And, the frosting is doused in honey. 

Perhaps I put too much thought it the contrived nature of cupcakes, but when the result is a cake batter that melts your face when you wonder if you'd put enough liquor in, then I might just be OK with that. 



Recipe

Ingredients

170g butter 
85g light brown sugar
85g Muscovado Sugar  
3 beaten eggs
170g self raising flour  
4 tablespoons whisky (or a few more...I went for a few more)
The split of sugar is not essential, you can stick with just light brown sugar. Adding muscovado just adds a deeper flavour, plus I can't get over the smell of it so it's any excuse.

500g Icing Sugar
200g Butter
3 tbsp runny honey

Method

Pre heat your oven to 190° 
Whisk together your sugar and butter until the mix is light and fluffy. 
Add in your eggs one at a time and beat in thoroughly. 
Now add in half of your flour and all of your whisky, combine. 
Add in the rest of your flour a stir until evenly mixed. 
Divide evenly between cupcake cases and bake for 20-25 minutes.

While your cakes are baking throw your icing sugar, butter and honey into a bowl and whisk until light and fluffy. Once ready pop to one side to set.

Once your cakes are baked allow to cool then decorate as you wish.

Comments

  1. OMG these are so pretty!! Also they look rather tasty, Mr W is a huge whisky fan so I may have to make soem for him :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! Let me know if you do!! They tasted so good - I highly recommend them! ;-)

      B x

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular Reading